Consultancy Assignment: KPSRL Programming Officer
Application Deadline: 28 November 2021
The Knowledge Platform Security & Rule of Law (KPSRL) is a Netherlands Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MFA) project run by Clingendael’s Conflict Research Unit, in collaboration with the International Development Law Organization and Saferworld UK (the Consortium Partners). The KPSRL is focused on improving the quality and impact of Security and Rule of Law (SRoL) programming and policies, with a specific focus on fragile and conflict affected settings. The KPSRL Secretariat is looking for a Programmatic Learning consultant from 1 January to 31 May 2022, to cover the maternity leave of the regular Programming Officer.
Job Description: The consultant is expected to take on the following tasks and ensure the timely production of the following deliverables (full description in Consultancy Assignment attached here):
- Lead the process of designing a cross-programmatic learning instrument, based on concept note, in collaboration with the Head of Secretariat and the Learning Officer. The instrument should be designed to support learning initiatives to be tested among a group of implementers, across different SRoL programs. The Programmatic Learning Instrument is also expected to offer coordination and trust-building mechanisms, as well as joint learning budgets, to encourage and enable collective investment in knowledge generation among different organizations.
- Prepare an Action Plan for the design of the Instrument
- Draft the component building blocks of the Instrument
- Draft a case study for piloting the Instrument
- Conduct consultations with the Secretariat and Consortium Partners to receive feedback and improve upon early drafts of the design
- Provide support to two regional and one global learning events for the Addressing Root Causes (ARC) program, and help prepare the wider dissemination of knowledge generated through these events. These events aim to use participatory reflection to share and capture promising practices, lessons learned, and evidence of change within the ARC program over the past 5 years (2017-2021), at both thematic and methodological level.
- Conduct regular check-ins with the organizing team, produce brief summaries
- Provide coordinating and advisory support to the organizing team to help realize the ambitions set out in the concept notes
- Liaise with the ARC Fund Policy Officer within the NL Ministry of Foreign Affairs
- Ensure the final reflection paper is received well by its target audiences, notably the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and ARC community
- Strong strategic planning and design skills for (cross-)organizational learning instruments; including designing budget allocation structures and monitoring regimes
- Strong familiarity with programmatic learning, particularly within development aid implementation organizations with a focus on peace, security, justice and rule of law programming
- Good familiarity with the KPSRL community, or similar networks of programming and research expertise focused on international security, justice, peacebuilding and rule of law policy & programs
- A demonstrable commitment to working with organizations to improve their learning strategies, in particular across programs and consortia; a passion for empowering organizations working within their own communities to strengthen peace, security, justice and the rule of law
- Excellent writing and communications skills in English; strong French language skills will be an asset
- Minimum 5 years’ experience in successfully completing consultancy assignments, on time and within budget
- Location: The Hague, the Netherlands (remote work is possible, though some travel to the Hague may be necessary on specific occasions, economy travel reimbursed with receipts)
- Period: 1 January – 31 May 2022; approximately 40 days
- Total budget: €22,000 (VAT excl; travel reimbursement excl.)
Please send the following to M.Manirakiza@KPSRL.org , subject line “Programming Officer Consultancy Application”.
- Your Curriculum Vitae or Resume (not to exceed 2 pages)
- A proposal breaking down your plan to approach the assignment; budget included
- Your availability (dates) to carry out the assignment